English Daily Workout: Grammar Exercise: Can and Could

Grammar Exercise: Can and Could

 Grammar Exercises: Modals 'Can' and 'Could'

6. Complete the following sentences, using the indicated verbs in the Simple conjugation with the auxiliary could. For example:
I wish I ___________ Portuguese. (to speak)
I wish I could speak Portuguese.

They will wish they ____________ the questions. (to answer)
They will wish they could answer the questions.

You wished you _________ some chocolate. (to buy)
You wished you could buy some chocolate.

1. He wishes he ______________ them. (to call)
2. We wish we _______________ more time sightseeing. (to spend)
3. She wished she _______________ you. (to visit)
4. They will wish they _______________ to the concert. (to go)
5. I wished I _______________ my way home. (to find)
6. He wishes he _______________ famous. (to become)
7. I wish I _______________ it to you. (to describe)



7. Complete the following sentences, using the indicated verbs in the Simple conjugation with the auxiliary could. For example:
      If he wanted to, he ___________ how to sail a boat. (to learn)
      If he wanted to, he could learn how to sail a boat.

      If we ____________ anywhere, we would visit Greece. (to travel)
      If we could travel anywhere, we would visit Greece.


1. If I _____________ you, I would be glad to do it. (to help)
2. If she played the piano, she ______________ your singing. (to accompany)
3. We _____________ before dawn if we made all our preparations tonight. (to depart)
4. He would be thrilled if he ___________ to ride a horse. (to learn)
5. If she came with us, we ______________ her all the sights. (to show)
6. If they gave us their address, we ______________ them a card. (to send)
7. He would move at once if he _____________ a better place to live. (to find)


8. Complete the following sentences, using the indicated verbs in the Perfect conjugation with the auxiliary could. For example:
Had I studied harder, I ___________________ every question. (to answer)
Had I studied harder, I could have answered every question.

_____ she ________ you earlier, she would have spoken to you. (to see)
Could she have seen you earlier, she would have spoken to you.

1. If you ___________________ him trying to skate, you would have laughed. (to see)
2. If I had experienced difficulties, I __________________ him for help. (to ask)
3. It would have been better if we __________________ everything to her. (to explain)
4. Had they had permission, they ______________ the arrangements themselves. (to make)
5. We _______ easily our way if we had not brought a compass with us. (to lose)
6. ______ they _____________ what he had in mind, they would not have been so complacent. (to know)
7. Had a flying saucer landed on the roof, he _______ not ___________ more surprised. (to be)
8. If only I __________________ them of the truth, much time and trouble would have been saved. (to convince)
9. If you ____________________ what might happen, would you have acted differently? (to guess)
10. Had I realized he was in town, I __________________ him. (to contact)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments