English Daily Workout: Grammar Exercises on Modals Must, May, Might

Grammar Exercises on Modals Must, May, Might

Grammar Exercises on Modals Must, May, Might (Lesson here)

9. Fill in the blanks, indicating whether each of the following sentences is somewhat polite (S), quite polite (Q), or very polite (V). Notice the indirect phrasing of the most polite requests and suggestions. For example:
      Could you pass the butter? S
      Would you please pass the butter? Q
      Might I trouble you to pass the butter? V

1. Could you help me? ___
2. Would you like some help? ___
3. Might I be of assistance? ___
4. You could come with us. ___
5. You might wish to accompany us. ___
6. Would you like to come with us? ___
7. Might I trouble you for two pounds of fish? ___
8. I would like to buy two pounds of fish, please. ___
9. Could you give me two pounds of fish? ___
10. Could I have your opinion on this? ___
11. Would you please tell me what you think? ___
12. Might I know your feelings on the matter? ___


10. Complete each of the following sentences with the auxiliary may, might or must. Use may or might when the event described seems somewhat probable, and use must when the event described seems very probable. For example:
      You ___ be right; we shall have to wait and see.
      You may be right; we shall have to wait and see. or You might be right; we shall have to wait and see.

      That ____ be our landlord; I would recognize him anywhere.
      That must be our landlord; I would recognize him anywhere.

1. Although it _________ be true, it seems unlikely.
2. That _________ have been the number 10 bus, because no other bus runs on this street.
3. We __________ have to wait a long time for a bus, because they do not run very frequently.
4. That ________ be the right answer; there is no other possibility.
5. Tell me your problem; I _________ be able to help you.
6. It _________ have been he who answered the phone, because no one else was at home.
7. Since we have never been to this store before, we _________ have difficulty finding what we want.
8. You _________ be pleased that you are doing so well in your new job.
9. I _________ go downtown tomorrow; it depends on the weather.
10. Although he is a very careful worker, it is possible that he _________ have made a mistake.




ENGLISH GRAMMAR: EXPLANATIONS AND EXERCISES
by Mary Ansell

Table of Contents

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments